Two Fires Ignited by Lit Cigarettes

Photo Illustration by Liz Monroy / el Don
Photo Illustration by Liz Monroy / el Don

By Katie Porter

Two small fires on campus were started by improperly disposed cigarettes, campus safety officials said.

A smoldering cigarette butt ignited a planter in the parking lot near the A building at 4:10 p.m. April 29, according to Lt. John Follo. The fire department was notified but Assistant Dean of Fire Technology Don Mahany put out the flames with a bucket of water.

The second fire is believed to have started in the same fashion.

Follo urges that smokers need to extinguish cigarettes and dispose of them in the receptacles.

Leave a Reply