el Don’s 90 Years Anniversary

image-Top_eldon-90-Yrs_Montage2

YOU DON”T KNOW SAC — Since opening its doors 97 years ago, Santa Ana College has supported student success and fostered the careers of many familiar faces. Funny man Will Ferrell, who most recently starred in The Campaign, attended the college. Actors Steve Martin (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) and Diane Keaton (Annie Hall) also attended SAC. Keaton went on to win an Academy Award for Best Actress in 1981. Robert David Hall, a student who worked on the el Don newspaper, became Al Robbins on the television show CSI.

WATCH DOG — The student newspaper has been in publication since 1923. This year is the el Don’s 90th anniversary.

OLD HOME — Before moving to 17th Street, students attended class in College Hall on Main Street. It used to house the O.C. Probation offices.

SPACE RACE — In 1923 the el Don wrote an editorial focused on a problem we face every day before class begins — not enough parking spaces. Nine decades ago, Santa Ana High School students were given priority parking, leaving the college students with few spots to park their cars, bicycles and horses.

SUCCESS STORY — You can watch SAC alumna Vera Jimenez on KTLA 5 News at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. She attended media classes to build a foundation for her career in broadcast news.

SCHOOL SPIRIT — Santa Ana Junior College students used to organize an annual fiesta complete with a parade. Students would show their school pride by dressing up in Mexican-style costumes. Much like the nomination of a king and queen at homecoming, the coronation of two students as the “Don” and “Doña” highlighted the event.

READ MORE:  From house to home: DJ Illegal Alienz