By Andrew Mata
With the Super Bowl Sunday came high-price commercials that companies like Heinz, Doritos, Hyundai and Budweiser pay millions of dollars per second to air.
Here are my top five:
- Pokémon highlighted its 20-year celebration during the third quarter in a commercial that showcased their upcoming app: Pokemon Go. Through the app, players search for Pokemon that can be obtained through the app in real life locations. This was one of my favorite commercials because it reminded me of my childhood, opening card packs at a comic store and searching for rare holographic cards and the rush when you finally got one. It also took me back to waking up early on the weekend to watch the show.
- The Doritos ultrasound commercial would have been higher on my list if it wasn’t so weird. A couple are at an appointment checking on their baby, but the father doesn’t seem too interested to see what’s on the screen, until he sees the baby following a Dorito chip in the room. The mother, who can’t believe he’s eating, grabs the chip and throws it across the room, abruptly causing the baby to have an early exit. It made my top five because it was funny, unique and it was one that I actually watched more than once.
- The Heinz commercial featuring a stampede of dachshunds dressed as hot dogs running toward a group of condiments. This makes the list because of the irony and the fact that the puppies looked super cute.
- The NFL dropped its own commercial featuring babies born nine months after the previous Super Bowl. The winning city sees rising birth rates, and the commercial shows children and adults born after their cities team won the Super Bowl from different eras. I thought this was extremely creative and made for a good commercial because you saw everything from adults born in 1967 after the first Super Bowl to children born in 2014.
- Hyundai topped my list with its “First Date” commercial featuring Kevin Hart. Hart not-so-discretely follows his daughter around on a date, doing outrageous things like hiding in bushes to prevent her date from trying anything with her. It topped my list because it’s relatable to a lot of fathers being overprotective of their daughters, and with Kevin Hart playing the father this commercial was hilarious. Hyundai had several good commercials but this was my favorite one of the night.